If you’ve ever hopped into your car, put your key into the ignition, turned the key and experienced silence rather than the roar of your engine, you know how frustrating and inconvenient that can be. Vehicle batteries don’t last forever; they will eventually fail. If you learn the signs that your battery may be failing, you can be proactive and hopefully avoid the hassle of being stranded.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms a Battery May Be About to Fail?
Most batteries last from three to five years. If yours is approaching its three-year mark and you experience any of the following symptoms, it’s time to have your import car battery evaluated by a professional.
- It’s taking an unusually long time to start your car’s engine.
- You smell a sulfuric (rotten-egg) smell near the battery.
- The dashboard warning light for your battery illuminates
- You see corrosion or stains around the battery or battery terminals.
- The battery’s case is swollen.
Why Replace Your Battery Before It Fails?
There are several benefits of replacing your car battery before it fails. These include:
- You will be able to schedule when it’s convenient to have your battery replaced rather than experiencing the unpleasant surprise you must have it replaced immediately if you want to be able to drive your car.
- You will be able to drive your car to the repair shop without having to have it jump-started first or towed to a facility if a jump start doesn’t work.
- You’ll have the peace of mind of knowing you’ve got a new battery that should serve you well for years to come.
Five Reasons to Have Your Car Battery Replaced By an Expert
Sure, you could go to any auto parts chain store, buy a battery and hook it up yourself. Unless you have automotive training, that’s not a wise course of action. Here are three reasons not to do it yourself:
- A professional will make sure your new battery is the optimal type for your make and model vehicle and will deliver the best performance.
- When an expert replaces your battery, he’ll have an opportunity to visually assess other components and to spot problems that may be developing. Many problems aren’t detectable to someone who lacks the training to know when something is amiss.
- A pro will clean the battery connections and remove any corrosion that could impede performance.
- Batteries are heavy and may be coated in an acidic electrolyte that can burn your skin or clothing. Additionally, you have to take precautions when disposing of an old battery. A professional will take care of these inconveniences for you.
- Swedish Motors offers a warranty on battery replacements.
If your battery is between three and five years old, make sure to watch for signs it’s weakening. As your battery approaches the end of its lifespan and you detect abnormalities, it’s best to have it evaluated by a professional. Contact us at Swedish Motors; we can test it and replace it if needed.