Preventative Maintenance Checklist for Fall
- Being proactive and taking the following steps now to minimize the odds of problems later is precisely how to avoid being stranded in the cold.
- Make sure your car is equipped with an optimal level of oil of multi-grade viscosity oil that’s designed to withstand harsh winter conditions.
- Come in to our shop for a free battery test. If it’s time to replace your battery, we’ll sell you one and install it at no charge.
- Check your windshield wipers for wear and tear. Sleet, ice and snow are tough on rubber blades. When in doubt, it’s best to begin the season with a fresh set.
- Top off your windshield wiper fluid so the reservoir is full.
- Evaluate your engine coolants levels and condition. If it looks questionable, you’ll need to flush and refill the fluid.
- Make sure all interior and exterior lights work and that your car’s headlights are properly aimed.
- Have your exhaust system evaluated to ensure there are no carbon monoxide leaks.
- Have a professional check the most important safety feature on your car: you brakes.
- Visually inspect belts and hoses for cracks, leaks or excess wear.
- Make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended levels, are not overly worn and have sufficient tread depth. Consider installing tires designed specifically to grip slick winter roads.
- Wax your car’s exterior to protect it from being damaged by ice and sleet.
Be Prepared for a Worst Case Scenario
Each year the news is full of stories of unprepared motorists who have become stranded in sub-zero temperatures. Some of these stories don’t end well. Equip your car with a winter survival kit that includes snacks, water, blankets, a flashlight, road salt, flares, an ice scraper, jumper cables, a first-aid kit and an emergency supply of any critical medications. Additionally, always set out with a fully charged cell phone and, in inclement weather, make sure someone knows your intended route. Your odds of becoming stranded are far lower if you ready your car for winter, but sometimes even the most prepared motorists find themselves in perilous situations.
Schedule Your Complimentary Winter Check Up Today!
The most treacherous driving conditions are on the way. Now that you understand why it's important to have your car serviced before cooler temperatures arrive, at Swedish Motors. We’ve got the tools, equipment and expertise to winterize your vehicle so you’re ready for whatever weather comes your way.